Thursday, February 12, 2009

Looking for Le Gros - Good Jersey Name

Andrew from Canada is a descendant from Joseph deMouilpied and looking for more family information. Andrew comes by way of Emily de Mouilpied b.1849, Joseph's oldest child. Emily married John Le Gresley, 1867, another close Guernsey family. They had a daughter Edith Emily Le Gresley b. Oct. 4, 1872.

Edith went on to marry John James Le Gros, apparently an old Jersey name. The Le Gros name still remains in St. Peter Point, Gaspe, Canada, as the Le Gros House seen on the left side of this blog. They had 6 children: John Arthur b. 1897; Gladys Muriel b. 1903; Doris Emily b. 1905; Sydney James b. 1907; Winnifred b. 1909 and Harold b.1912. This Le Gros name is what Andrew needs help with. (Andrew comes by way of Sydney)

John James Le Gros had a father who was also a John James Le Gros who was born abt. 1840 in St. Mary, Jersey (the other Channel Island) His father was Thomas LeGros, b. 1811 also in St. Mary's, Jersey. And this is where Andrew needs help, he just can't seem to go back before Thomas.

Does anyone have information about the Le Gros family from Jersey?
Does any one know any one in Jersey who can help?

I know Guernsey has a fantastic library with Family Names on file filled with genealogy information. Does anyone know if Jersey's Library does the same?

If you are a descendant from Edith Emily Le Gros, Andrew has a great lineage and chart created. He also has documents about marriages, burials etc. And Andrew is enthusiastic. His email is:
aoreilly@shaw.ca

11 comments:

Rosie said...

Hi My maiden name is Le Gros and I was Born in Jersey Channel Islands in 1950. My Grandfather was Clement Emile Le Gros born 1902 of Jules Emile Le Gros who was born in Normandy France during the 1800. I do not know if great grandfather had any siblings but I do know that all of grandfathers siblings including himself have now left this life. I hope this will help a little. Cheers Rosie now residing in Australia

Rosie said...

Hi My maiden name is Le Gros and I was Born in Jersey Channel Islands in 1950. My Grandfather was Clement Emile Le Gros born 1902 of Jules Emile Le Gros who was born in Normandy France during the 1800. I do not know if great grandfather had any siblings but I do know that all of grandfathers siblings including himself have now left this life. I hope this will help a little. Cheers Rosie now residing in Australia

Debby de Moulpied said...

Thanks Rosie. All information is helpful. I will let Andrew, the Le Gros enthusiast know about this. Thanks so much for commenting.
Cheers,
Debby

Anonymous said...

Rosie, I am also in Australia, in Sydney and would like to find out if you are related to Rosanne Le Gross born about 1929, or if you have any contacts that might be able to help me find out what happened to her. I know she became Palmer by marriage and had a daughter called Cathereinne Gervaise whom I believe became Richards by marriage.
Regards Bill 02 9489 3895

Anonymous said...

Hi im an Egre but my Grandad is Authur James Le Gros born 1927, My mum and Auntie Diane and Anita Le Gros, we all live in Jersey .. theres a whole bunch of us :)

Debby de Moulpied said...

Thanks for the contact. Cousin Andrew is very much researching the Le Gros in Jersey and would appreciate your contact. His email is: aoreilly@shaw.ca Thanks again.

Andy O'Reilly said...

Hi all looking for Le Gros ancestors! Please contact me :


Andy O'Reilly
10 Elizabeth Way S.E.,
Airdrie, Alberta
T4B 2H5

403.948.1828 H
403.510.8732 C
aoreilly@shaw.ca

and lets share our knowledge.

Andy O'Reilly said...

Hello all looking for Le Gros ancestors & relatives!

Please contact me :

Andy O'Reilly
10 Elizabeth Way S.E.,
Airdrie, Alberta
T4B 2H5

403.948.1828 H
403.510.8732 C
aoreilly@shaw.ca

and lets share our knowledge and get to know how we all fit into the tree. :)

Andy O'Reilly said...

I am search any & all Le Gros relatives in hopes of filling out my tree. Where it begins for me and going back is St. Mary Parish where my Le Gros last where before coming to Canada. My Great Great Grandfather's brother's line is very short - maybe someone can recognize someone in it :

..... 1 Thomas Nicholas Le Gros b: September 29, 1836 in St Mary, Jersey, Channel Islands, d: Aft. 1901

..... + Amelia Georgina b: Abt. 1848 in St Mary, Jersey, Channel Islands, d: Aft. 1901

........... 2 Ada Amelia Le Gros b: 1869 in St. Mary, Jersey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

........... 2 Lydia Florence Le Gros b: 1873 in St. Mary, Jersey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Andy @ aoreilly@shaw.ca

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am a LeGros descendant of John James LeGros, who's son was also John James born in 1869. I'd like to exchange emails to see if we can sort out any more of our history. I'm glad I found your blog post, it was helpful. You can email me at willberto@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

http://pistard.banq.qc.ca/unite_chercheurs/Anq_Afficher_image?p_page=1&p_anqsid=201712160853371293&P_cote=TP11,S4,SS68,SSS1,D31&P_codedepo=01R&P_numunide=812461&p_hauteur=1043&p_largeur=1904

In 1879 Emily De Mouilpied choose Edward Legrand power of attorner, and mentionned 4 minor childrens.
Raymond Laflamme, Gaspé