Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Blondel Family Crest from Guernsey

Blondel is a big family name on Guernsey. Marie Blondel married Thomas de Mouilpied probably around 1808 or 1809 since their first child Marie was born in 1810. A previous blog post goes into the Blondel/deMouilpied marriage and the connection to Blondel de Nesle, the Minstrel. Several de Moulpied cousins have pulled out the same photo from a drawing that shows the Blondel Crest. It was originally with the deMouilpied crest as seen here.

On Islands like Guernsey, the crests (not coats) may have changed through the generations, or so I have been told. There is suppose to be a Blondel crest in the St. Saviour's Parish Church which was the parish of many Blondels. I was told it was in a corner, up high, just in case you happen to be in there and would like to confirm the sighting and also know if it is the same. (a photo would be fantastic!) What is interesting is a fancy "buy your family crest now" website actually has a similar crest with all the same number of windows. Very interesting.The image above is also in French.
 So for all you Blondel followers, here you go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have visited St. Saviours Church a few times to see the family tomb, which has a crest at one end with the inscription"Le Bon Temps Viendra". My name is Norman Victor Blondel and I was born in St. Andrews parish. My parents are buried in the upper cemetary of St. Andrews Church. I had the gravestone raised and reset and marked with a Canadian flag. I live on Vancouver Island in Canada.

Debby de Moulpied said...

Welcome cousin! St. Saviours is a sweet, old church. Thank you for writing. The next time I visit, I will look for your parents in St. Andrews, and the Canadian flag.