Monday, September 15, 2008

How Do You Pronounce deMouilpied?

In all my some many years, I can remember only 3 teachers ever pronouncing my name correctly on the first go around. My guess is that you are in the same boat.

So how about it, how do you pronounce deMouilpied/deMoulpied? My pronunciation is sort of close to the French way. "de", I pronounce as "duh". I suppose the real french way should be pronounced "do"or "dew". (This is a great challenge doing phonetics without those little extra thingies) I definitely do not say "dee".

"Mouil/Moul" I pronounce "Moe" with the "l" being silent. If I want to have fun, I might say "Moo"

For "pied", I say the French way without the "d", "pee-ay", accent on the end. I always chuckled when a teacher would say "peed", like duh mole peed.

So here we go with acceptable close to french pronunciations: "duh moe peeay" "due moo peeay" "do mool peeay". But never "dee mole pide" or "dee mole peed".

Having fun yet?

No comments: